When I met my husband and we were dating, it was such an exciting time. And it became so much more exciting when we decided to spend our lives together! Something ignites inside you when you find someone that you could spend everyday of forever with, and when they find the same thing in you! Whenever you meet that person and your heart is full of love you truly have the feeling, “I have found the one whom my soul loves.” This verse from Song of Solomon is so special and all of the book of Song of Songs shows how beautiful new love is.
Song of Solomon Meaning
Song of Solomon is such a unique book of the Bible and is a beautiful intimate picture of love between a husband and wife. The book of Song of Solomon is full of passionate and beautiful language that describes this couple as they start their new life together. Song of Solomon 3:4 in particular describes a woman as she is finding her husband and the one her soul loves. All of Song of Solomon describes the relationship between the man and his beloved and their intense love and affection toward each other.
God views marriage as a sacred covenant between a man and a woman. The marriage covenant or agreement is such a mirror of Christ’s relationship with the church. The church is the bride of Christ and he is our bridegroom. That image in itself is so much to think about and reflect on. Our Savior loved us so much that He gave up His very life for us!
I Have Found the One Whom My Soul Loves
It is so important that the Lord chose to include an entire book about love and earthly marriage in the Bible. The entirety of Song of Solomon is focused on the beauty and love between these two lovers and friends. Song of Solomon 3:4 alone shows that God must cherish marriage and the beauty of a holy union!
Scripture shows us that God does not take covenant vows lightly. In scripture, when God enters into a covenant relationship with his people, He never breaks that covenant. We can find safety and security and trust in God’s words because we know that He will never break His covenants with us. Likewise, God loves the marriage covenant and bond that we enter into on earth. He would have us, just like Him, stay true to our words and our bond and learn to love and respect one another unconditionally. In fact, the only way we can truly learn to love unconditionally is to draw our love and strength from Him! God IS Love, and when we rely on Him in our marriage, just as Ecclesiastes 4:12 says, a cord of three strands is not easily broken!
Bible Verses About Love
As the Bible says in 1 John 4, God Himself is love, and so love is written all over His word and over everything He does. It is because He first loved us that we are able to love at all! Earthly marriage is from Him, just like every good and perfect gift. Because He loves us so much He wants us to experience that love between one another also. These are some of our favorite Bible verses about love:
- 1 John 4: 7-12 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
- 1 John 4:19 We love because He first loved us.
- Corinthians 13:4-5 "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful.”
- Colossians 3:14 "And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony."
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: 10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
The Vows We Take When We Find The One Whom Our Soul Loves
Our heavenly Father is always pleased when we love as He loves us. It is only His love that can truly empower us to love one another unconditionally. In a world full of hatred, and discord, and distrust of one another, let these scriptures fill you with the pure love that only our God can give. I believe anytime a man and a woman recite their vows in holy matrimony and commit themselves to one another, the Lord is pleased and will honor their commitment to one another! Celebrate love and marriage by displaying a beautiful piece in your home with scripture that will inspire you to lean on the Lord in His great love for you. Shop our favorite scriptures, including Song of Solomon 3:4, I have found the one whom my soul loves, on a beautiful hand-crafted wood sign.